Taxes & Assessments
Assessment & Tax Notices are commonly mailed out in early May with full payment due by June 30th each year. For more information call the Town Office at 403-227-3376.
This is the process of placing a dollar value on a property in order to calculate the amount of taxes that will be charged on that property. In Alberta, properties are based on the market value of the property.
Innisfail assessment services are contracted out to Wildrose Assessment Services. Assessments are completed on properties in Innisfail by January of each year.
Town Council sets the residential and non-residential tax rates or "mill rates" in the spring of each year. These are based on the budgeted funds required to operate and maintain the municipality for that year, as well as the Provincial School Levy. The School Levy is the amount that will be collected by the Town and then paid directly to the Province of Alberta to maintain and develop the school system.
When determining property taxes, all municipalities are required, by law, to follow the guidelines contained in the Municipal Government Act. The tax amount on your Assessment & Tax Notice is for taxes levied from January to December of the current year. All taxes are due and payable by June 30th.
What you end up paying taxes for is determined by a simple formula:
|Residential - Municipal||6.609||6.511||6.511||6.511||6.511||6.446||6.446||6.351||6.246||5.816||5.51||5.50|
|Residential - School||2.615||2.615||2.567||2.480||2.500||2.530||2.717||2.746||2.594||2.387||2.19||2.20|
|Non-Residential - Mun.||8.155||8.074||8.073||8.073||8.073||7.994||7.994||7.875||7.744||7.216||7.32||7.00|
|Non-Residential - School||3.753||3.753||3.780||3.640||3.670||3.720||3.903||3.945||3.668||3.447||3.50||3.82|
Tax Penalties and Methods of Payment
All taxes are payable and due on June 30th. An 8% penalty will be added as of July 1st to all current taxes not paid by June 30th. An additional 4% penalty will be added September 1st if current taxes are not paid by August 31st. Any taxes remaining unpaid by December 31st will be charged an additional 12% penalty as of January 1st.
When taxes are paid by a mortgage company, it is still the property owner's responsibility to ensure the taxes are paid prior to the due date.
Any property with taxes in arrears for more than one year may be subject to further proceedings under the Municipal Government Act and its amendments.
Your taxes can be paid using the following options:
• At the Innisfail Town Office, 4943 53 Street, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm; Cash, cheque or debit card accepted.
• After-hours drop box (located at the back entrance of the Town Office).
• By Mail: Town of Innisfail, 4943 53 Street, Innisfail AB, T4G 1A1 (All payments sent by mail must be postmarked by Canada Post on or before June 30, 2018).
• At most chartered banks.
• By internet or telephone banking (use your tax roll number as your account number) Note: It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that payments processed by banking institutions are received by the due date to avoid penalties. Payments may take 2-10 business days.
• Through MTPP (Monthly Tax Payment Plan). Contact the Town Office for information.
Assessment Inquiries & Appeals
If you disagree with your property assessment, you may appeal the assessment to a Regional Assessment Review Board. You may appeal the assessment, but not the actual tax amount. As per the Municipal Government Act, all appeals must be submitted by the date indicated on your Tax Notice.
To appeal to the Regional Assessment Review Board, please stop by the Town Office and pick up an official Complaint form package, or click the link below to access the official Assessment Review Board Complaint Form . A fee of $30.00 will apply to all appeals filed.
- Your appeal must be received by the Board Clerk on or before the final date of appeal as indicated on your Property Assessment & Tax Notice.
- To avoid penalties, your taxes must still be paid by the due date, even though you may have appealed your assessment.
Innisfail Farmers Market
June 27, 2019 @ 10:00 am
2019 Property Tax Deadline
June 30, 2019 @ 12:00 am
Canada Day Kick Off
June 30, 2019 @ 5:00 pm