Animal Control

The Town of Innisfail's Peace Officers enforce the Town's animal control bylaws. For more information, please call 403-227-3376. After-hours calls will be redirected to an after-hours answering service.


Pet Licensing

The Town of Innisfail Bylaw #1537 states that the owner of every dog & cat in the Town must be registered annually. A tag will be issued and must be affixed to a collar worn by the animal at all times when the animal is not on the owner’s premises. Failure to comply with any of these bylaws could result in the seizure of the cat, and/or the issuance of a fine.



A dog licence can be purchased from the Town Office, under the following guidelines:

December & January - $20.00 for a spayed/neutered dog; $40.00 for a non-spayed/non-neutered dog
February – November - $30.00 for a spayed/neutered dog; $50.00 for a non-spayed, non-neutered dog

Download Dog License Application Form



Cats residing within the Town of Innisfail are required to be licensed, under the following guidelines:

December & January - $20.00 for a spayed/neutered cat; $40.00 for a non-spayed/non-neutered cat
February – November - $30.00 for a spayed/neutered cat, $50.00 for a non-spayed/non-neutered cat

Cat trapping will cease during the winter months, beginning October 1, due to unpredictable weather conditions. Cat trapping will resume in the May or June, depending on the weather.

Download Cat License Application Form


Found and Lost Pets

If you have lost your pet or found a pet who is lost, check the Town's Facebook page for posts about animals that have been picked up by the Community Peace Officer. Animals in Town custody are held for 72-hours excluding Sundays and are then taken to the Central Alberta Humane Society and managed under their policies.

The Town will post to social media about animals in Town custody, however, we encourage residents to reach out to the community and create their lost or found pet posts on local Facebook pages, such as Innisfail Alberta Lost and Found Pets and Innisfail Happenings.


Formerly known as the Red Deer & District SPCA, the Central Alberta Humane Society is an adoption centre dedicated to the re-homing of unwanted, abandoned and stray companion animals. The maximum adoption facility operates primarily within the Central Alberta region. Click here to learn more

Off-Leash Dog Park

There is one off-leash park in town, located North of the Centennial Park, located at the intersection of 50 Street and 60 Avenue. When you arrive at the park, follow the signs on the pathway and walk North up the hill, and it is on the East (right) side of the path. The off-leash park is completely fenced off and there are signs posted at the entrance.

dog park

Residents are required to clean up after their dogs whether they are in the off-leash area or not, as this helps eliminate the spread of common canine disease.

Failure to comply with any of these bylaws could result in the seizure of the dog and/or the issuance of a fine


Dog Park Etiquette: How to Keep Play Fun and Safe


While many owners at dog parks socialize as much as their dogs, it's important that playing dogs are monitored closely at all times for their own safety. If you are in the park and see new visitors arrive, discourage your dog from "rushing" the new dog at the gate. Call your dog to you and give him a pet before sending him off to greet the newcomers. Understand your dog's body language and watch for signs of stress which indicate that he has had enough. Yawning, licking, turning away/turning of the head, laying down, freezing in place, and walking slowly may be some indicators that he wants a break.

If your dog is bullying, or is being bullied, leave the park. Bullying may occur when one dog (or a group of dogs) is persistently pursuing another dog. Chasing left uninterrupted can also turn into predatory behaviour - so interrupt it frequently to give the dogs a "time-out" (perhaps after a few "race laps"). If you're unsure if the other dog is enjoying your dog's attentions, lead your dog away by the collar five steps and then watch. If the dog follows, then the play is appropriate and reciprocal. If you're unsure of your dog's enjoyment, ask the other dog's owner to lead his dog away. Always respect the other owner's feelings.

If you bring children with you, please supervise them at all times. Young children are not recommended. Children should not race around, wave toys and sticks, yell, scream or approach dogs that they don't know.

Used appropriately, dog parks are a great way for dogs and owners to have fun and make new friends. By following the rules of the park, being considerate of other owners and dogs, and closely supervising your own dog, you will contribute to the safe and inviting atmosphere many parks enjoy. Happy playing!


Frequently Asked Questions

What happens to found dogs/cats?

Found dogs or cats are brought to the Town of Innisfail Municipal Enforcement Animal Control Bays, where they are held and taken care of for up to 72-hours unless claimed by an owner.  After that time they are transferred to the Central Alberta Humane Society in Red Deer until an owner comes forward or the animal is re-adopted.

If I lose my animal, how can I find it?

Any found animals in Municipal Enforcement custody will be posted on the Town of Innisfail Facebook page—so you can start your search there. 

When are licences due and when is it valid until?

Licences are due January 1 of each year.  If you buy your licence after the beginning of the year you will still have to renew it on January 1, however, your licence will be valid until the following January.  

How many licences do I need

One for each animal. All dogs and cats must be licensed within the Town of Innisfail.

How many animals am I allowed to have in town?

You are permitted to license three dogs and three cats per residence within the Town of Innisfail.

What should I do if I or my animal is bitten by another animal?

Contact the Town of Innisfail right away.  The sooner we receive a report after a serious incident has occurred, the better chance we have to preserve evidence and conduct our investigation in a more timely and effective manner. Taking notes, immediately photographing any injuries, and collecting any documentation you receive from veterinarians or doctors is also recommended.

If I want to file a complaint will the person whose animal I am complaining about know it was me?

No. As per the Alberta regulations of F.O.I.P, all information we receive from complainants is strictly mandated to be kept confidential.  

Where can I take my dog to walk it off leash?

There is one off-leash park in town. It is located North of the Centennial Park, at the intersection of 50 Street and 60 Avenue. When you arrive at the park, follow the signs on the pathway—walk North up the hill, and it is on the East (right) side of the path. The off-leash park is completely fenced off and there are signs posted at the entrance. 

This is the only green space in town approved as an off-leash park.  All other parks and green spaces require your dog to remain on a leash at all times. Violation of this rule could result in you being issued a fine.

What is considered excessive barking?

This is when a dog barks in excess of 15 minutes or more, with no immediately apparent cause. If you believe you have a dog barking in the area excessively, please contact Municipal Enforcement during regular office hours, file a complaint, and an officer will contact you.

Enforcement Office & Animal Control

Recent News

Upcoming Events

Harvest Fair & Quilt Show
August 19, 2018 @ 12:00 pm
Producers Market 2018
August 21, 2018 @ 3:30 pm
Farmers Market 2018
August 23, 2018 @ 10:00 am