Leaves on a DED-infected elm will wilt or droop, curl and become brown. This appears in mid-June to mid-July. Leaves on trees infected later in the season usually turn yellow and drop prematurely. Leaf symptoms are accompanied by brown staining under the bark. All suspicious elms must be tested in a lab, a service STOPDED funds.
Monitoring for the beetles is done annually throughout the province by STOPDED. The smaller elm bark beetles have been found throughout the province in low numbers and now the banded elm bark beetle is found in larger numbers throughout the City of Medicine Hat and area. For this reason we must be even more vigilant.
During DED Awareness Week, please take a moment and find out how you can help save our elms.
What can you do?
- Be aware of the Alberta elm pruning ban between April 1and Sept. 30. The beetles are most active at this time and can be attracted to the scent of fresh tree cuts, possibly infecting a healthy elm.
- Keep your elm trees healthy and vigorous.
- Water elms well from April to mid-August. To allow the tree to harden off for the winter, watering should be stopped mid-August followed by a good soaking or two before freezeup.
- Only between Oct. 1 to March 31, remove dead branches and trees as they can provide beetle habitat.
- Dispose of all elm wood immediately by burning, burying or chipping.
- Report all suspect trees to the DED Hotline at 1-877-837-ELMS. A confirmed DED tree must be removed immediately to prevent further spread.
What you shouldn’t do!
- Do not transport or store elm firewood at any time! DED and the beetles are declared pests under the Alberta Agricultural Pests Act making it illegal to do so.
- Do not transport elm firewood into Alberta! Firewood is confiscated at all the Alberta-Montana border crossings.
- Do not prune elms between April 1 and Sept. 30.
To report a DED suspect elm tree or for more information, call the STOPDED hotline at 1-877-837-ELMS or check out the website at www.stopded.org.
Our elms are a treasure that we cannot afford to lose.
July 27, 2017 @ 10:00 am
Strawberry Social & Arts Walk
July 30, 2017 @ 1:00 pm
August 03, 2017 @ 10:00 am