In our ongoing series of posts acknowledging our 120 years since incorporation, we’ll be sharing some significant aspects of Innisfail’s history throughout the months leading up to November 20, 2023.
The area of land where Dodd’s Lake is currently situated was a hub of activity in the early 1890s, providing a ball diamond, a picnic ground, a racetrack and bleachers for the citizens of lnnisfail. The lake gradually started forming after 1900 from the creek that drained through town, widening at the north end. John Dodd owned land on the north and both sides of the creek. In order to provide direct access for his farm equipment, John installed a culvert across a narrow part of the creek. This damming effect raised the water level, eventually forming Dodd’s Lake.
The lake now serves residents as a place to enjoy the outdoors, featuring a variety of wild birds and trout stocked by the Innisfail Lions Club.