In our ongoing series of posts acknowledging our 120 years since incorporation, we’ll be sharing some significant aspects of Innisfail’s history throughout the months leading up to November 20, 2023.
With Remembrance Day approaching, it is important to acknowledge the sacrifices made by our veterans.
The 187th (Central Alberta) Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Red Deer, the unit began recruiting during the winter of 1915/16 in Red Deer and surrounding districts.
Prior to going overseas, the people of lnnisfail purchased the flags of the Regimental Colors for the Battalion. These flags were presented to the Battalion on June 16, 1916 and made the journey overseas with the soldiers. When the unit was absorbed into the 21st Reserve, the colors were placed in Westminster Abbey for the duration of the war.
After the war, the 187th Colors were located and returned to lnnisfail and resided in St. Marks Anglican Church.