Road System Maintenance
The Public Works Department is primarily responsible for maintaining the Town’s road and sidewalk system, storm drainage system, and operating the waste transfer station.
- Snow and ice control – clearing of snow from roads and public parking lots.
- Pothole repair and crack sealing – filling in potholes in paved roads and applying a tar sealant on cracks in road and trail surfaces.
- Line painting and crosswalk markings – repainting existing road surface markings.
- Roadside signs and traffic control devices – installation of new and replacement of damaged signs in Town roadways and ongoing maintenance of traffic signals.
- Street sweeping and boulevard cleaning – the removal of gravel and debris from road surfaces and boulevards as needed.
- Road repair and patching – reconstruction of small segments of road surfaces.
- Lane grading and dust control on gravel roads – smoothing out gravel surfaces in lanes and unpaved roadways and applying dust control materials.
- Street lighting – making sure street lights are operating and passing requests for maintenance and repair to FortisAlberta (contractor responsible for street lights).
- Railway crossings – maintaining road crossings and working with Canadian Pacific Railway.