Urban Hen Pilot Project
In March 2021, Innisfail Town Council passed a bylaw to initiate an Urban Hen Pilot Project.
The Town of Innisfail is now taking applications from residents interested in participating in the project.
To learn more about the application process, read below.
All households interested in participating in the Urban Hen Pilot Program must submit a
completed application form including the following:
1. Confirmation the proposed hen enclosure dimensions and location in a site
sketch demonstrating compliance with hen enclosure size and location requirements.
2. Written confirmation of neighbour approval. The applicant must gain permission from
neighbours (owners) with adjacent back yards and side yards, including those with back
yards across an alley/laneway.
3. Proof of training – completion certificate or proof of registration in an approved urban hen
keeping course. Training must be completed before the applicant will receive a licence. Approved Alberta course can be found at:
4. Confirmation of the proposed hen enclosure location as shown in a site sketch
demonstrating compliance with setback requirements.
5. Premises Identification Number (PID number) as required by the Alberta Animal Health
Please complete the required application and attach all supporting documents to make a complete application package. To submit the application package, applicants must email their application to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at the Town Office Building, 4943-53 St, Innisfail, AB.
All submitted materials must be clear, legible and precise.
Town approval of this application will grant the applicant an annual licence to keep hens for the two-year Urban Hen Keeping Pilot Program. The license will expire at the end of the program.
At this time the continuation of the program will be reviewed based on the results of the pilot program. If the program is continued, successful participants will be prioritized for licence renewal, subject to approval.
BYLAW 1662-2021 - Urban Hen Pilot Program
A copy of BYLAW 1662-2021 – Urban Hen Pilot Program can be downloaded here.